Twitter: a traveller’s treasure trove

Twitter is currently all the rage and is rapidly becoming a global phenomenon. It’s not so hard to see why. Apart from the high-profile celebrities who use Twitter to engage their fan base, this social networking service offers its users a unique opportunity to quickly share news, ideas, tips and knowledge in short 140-character messages. Tens of millions of people around the world are on Twitter every day, sending tweets from their computers at home or in the office, or from their mobile phones or Blackberries while on the road. This continuous sharing of information is Twitter’s biggest trump.

happybirds4medium For travellers, Twitter really is a treasure trove of information. I’ve been using Twitter for several months now and I’ve connected with a great community of travel experts, foodies, wine lovers, travel bloggers, hoteliers, tourism offices and airlines who are constantly sharing information. For instance, as I write this, I know that it’s 28 degrees Celsius and sunny in Pisa, Italy while it’s freezing in Queenstown, New Zealand. In addition, a list of ways to avoid getting sick while travelling, a photo of today’s sunset in Kenya, a list of the 35 best guidebooks on Africa and the latest travel deals have just appeared on my Twitter feed! Indeed, Twitter is an amazing travel resource.

For travellers who are new to or have yet to join Twitter, I’ve composed lists of travel Tweeps in various categories who are absolutely worth following. You’re invited to start by following me, then continue with the lists below. :-)

Amazing journeys

• @EverywhereTrip – Gary has been travelling around the world for ages now and tweets every day about it.
  • @soultravelers3 – a family of three on the road around the world
  • @RowingAdventure – Chris and Joe are rowing across the Atlantic Ocean to raise money for charities.

Travel experts, travel columnists, travel writers (for tips, ideas, travel deals and advice)

Accommodation

Airlines

Local sources

And last but not least: my blogger pals

There are so many more fellow Tweeps that I can recommend so these lists are by no means exhaustive. Travel Tweeps burst into hyper-activity every Tuesday as it’s a designated #traveltuesday (see TravelTuesday). This is a great opportunity to find new travel buffs on Twitter. Get onto Twitter today and watch a whole new world unfold before you!

twitter7

63 Responses to “Twitter: a traveller’s treasure trove”

1. Niel 12/08/2009 1:46 pm

Great list, just RT’ed to my peeps. We offer sustainable tours and accommodation in South Africa. Im on twitter: @greenhearttours

2. Sara 12/08/2009 12:12 pm

I too, am slow on the uptake and saw this on twitter today but it’s still an awesome list! I really will go through this and check that I am following these great people. Thank you for taking the time to do this and for including the Best of Zambia in it!

Sara

3. Motorino Man 11/08/2009 2:58 pm

Keith, great list and thanks for including Motorino’s ItalyTravel. Lots of great tweeters here.

Cheers!
    Motorino

4. Dan 11/08/2009 2:53 pm

Wow, what a list and thanks so much for the mention.

5. JoAnna 10/08/2009 7:48 pm

Hey Keith ~

I just came across this post ~ thanks for the shout out and a whole host of other tweeps I need to start following!

JoAnna

6. Lanora @WritingTravel 28/07/2009 10:10 pm

Thanks for this roundup of great travel tweeps to add to my must-read list! Cheers!

7. jessiev 28/07/2009 9:12 pm

love it! what a great list – i’ll need to double check to make sure i’m not missing anything. thank you!!

we’re at @WanderingEds and @jessiev for our site, http://www.WanderingEducators.com

8. century house, nantucket 28/07/2009 5:55 pm

Very well, great list. Don’t forget the bed and breakfasts :) We tweet as well!

Greetings from Nantucket, Otilia
    Century House, @chnantucket

9. Daniel 28/07/2009 4:38 pm

Hey Keith — so happy to see our twitter feed made your list! And agree wholeheartedly with Rajul’s perspective—content is paramount! And solid blogs like Velvet Escape put content front and centre. Your hard work is appreciated!

10. @gotpassort aye & jack 28/07/2009 4:30 pm

Keith,
    What a great list of resources & friends! We enjoy the conversations on Twitter the most. Thx also for mentioning us. See u on Twitter!
    @gotpassort family trio

11. Nora 28/07/2009 4:28 pm

Wow – What a great list! Now I have a whole bunch of awesome new travel Tweeps to follow! (I’m @hobonora). Cheers!

12. Dian 28/07/2009 4:06 pm

Thank you Keith for adding me to your list of travel tweets, I’m honoured. This is a great resource for travel information on the internet, I have also noticed some that I need to add to my follow list!

13. Anne 28/07/2009 11:39 am

What a fabulous list, thanks so much now have many more to follow and hopefully people will find my travel blog of interest as well

14. My Melange 09/07/2009 1:31 am

Hi Keith!

Just saw this today. Thanks for including me :) I followed lots of new travel peeps that I didn’t know about. Great List and good work!

15. Jess 08/07/2009 11:53 pm

Three more resorts to add to the accommodations category: @SecretsResorts, @ZoetryResorts, @DreamsResorts. Awesome post!

16. John Traveler 08/07/2009 11:25 pm

I think I am worth following. Sad that you didn’t include me. @travelandtweets

17. Amy @ The Q Family 19/06/2009 2:07 pm

Great list and I didn’t see it till Friday. :) I’m really slow.

18. Travelogged 18/06/2009 7:08 am

Great list! Thanks so much for including me!!! I think I am already following most of these tweeps but I am planning to add any any that I’m not…

19. Dave and Deb 18/06/2009 3:37 am

Just saw this on #travel tuesday. I feel so honored that you included us in your blogger pals! See you on Twitter. Deb and Dave

20. Vera Marie Badertscher 12/06/2009 1:37 am

I’m slow on the uptake. Didn’t see this until a Twitterer mentioned it today. Good work, Keith! Thanks for the list. I’m bookmarking for further exploration.

21. velvet 10/06/2009 2:24 pm

Thank you for your comments!

Rajul, I agree with you. Companies are slowly starting to “get it” and that we, as bloggers, have an important role to play. Delivering quality content and building communities today; becoming consultants tomorrow! That’s one of the many ways how I see our role evolving.

22. Rajul 10/06/2009 2:11 pm

This is an awesome list: thank you!

I’m noticing that more and more companies are “getting it” that it’s about creating useful and inspiring travel content first, the bookings will then follow.

I think in this respect we bloggers have a duty to set an example and hope that companies follow our lead and provide valuable info, not just sales pitches!

Keep up the great work, have also just followed you on Twitter (@londonhoteltips).

23. Laura Sangster 10/06/2009 3:32 am

What a great compilation! Thanks for taking the time to share with us!

24. Sandy Salle 10/06/2009 2:58 am

Hi Keith – I’m blushing. Thank you for including me on your fabulous list. I’m honored. I thoroughly enjoy your tweets and your blog entries, you’re always posting amazing stuff. I’m also looking forward to adding lots of your recommendations to my list and seeing how I can be of service to them.

As always, you’re the best.

Sandy
    Hills of Africa Travel

25. Johan 10/06/2009 12:41 am

Thanks Keith for including @planyoursafari

26. JoAnna 10/06/2009 12:40 am

Thanks for the great list! I’m always interested in learning about more tweeps in the travel world hanging out on Twitter.

I am also a traveler and freelance writer with a new travel blog that you can find at http://www.kaleidoscopicwandering.wordpress.com. You can also find me on Twitter @joanna_haugen.

Happy travels!

27. Hansen 10/06/2009 1:20 am

Amazing list. I am still fairly new so it helped build a network of travel resources on Twitter. Follow me @ResorTime and hopefully someday I can make the list.
    Thanks!

28. velvet 08/06/2009 12:20 am

Thanks Melvin! Sorry, I thought you’d seen this list already. I keep updating it so check it out once in a while for new travel tweeps to follow.

Best regards,

29. Melvin 08/06/2009 12:13 am

Hey, you haven’t told me about this list yet. :) The list is cool. Thanks also for mentioning me, but even more thanks for the great connection with you and your great tweets!

Many greetings

Melvin

30. Liz 27/05/2009 9:45 am

Great list! Very useful – thanks

31. Vanessa @EntirelyKiwi 21/05/2009 11:27 pm

Hi Keith, We would love to be listed if possible??
    We help those who want information on travelling to New Zealand ! Thanks!! :)
    @EntirelyKiwi

32. velvet 21/05/2009 11:18 pm

Thank you Nancy, Ed & Latheef for your comments. I’m glad you like the list. I’ll be adding new names continuously so do visit once in a while for some new names.

33. Nancy D. Brown 21/05/2009 10:25 pm

Hi Keith,
    Thanks for the list. The travel writing industry is a fairly tight group and twitter has made us even better connected.

I’m a freelance travel writer based in San Francisco, CA, What a Trip newspaper columnist, blogger at http://www.Nancydbrown.com, Lodging Editor at http://www.Uptake.com and contributor to Escapes magazine.

Follow me on Twitter @Nancydbrown

34. Ed 21/05/2009 9:14 pm

Thanks. Great list, especially the airlines.

35. Latheef 21/05/2009 9:02 pm

Good work, this list is really helpful.
    cheers!

36. velvet 14/05/2009 2:57 pm

Thank you Paul & SoulTravelers3 for your comments! I’m glad you find the list helpful. I’ll be updating it continuously so check back once in a while. Twitter really is an amazing resource!

37. Soultravelers3 14/05/2009 2:49 pm

Great list! I just stumbled it. Thanks for including us!

By the way, we are 3 years into our open ended world tour as a family ( 4 continents, 29 countries, over 76, 000 miles …mostly over land) thus far, so have gathered tons of info that we share on twitter, our blog and youtube.

We love twitter and have found it to be an amazing resource!

38. Luxury Travel 14/05/2009 11:31 am

Wow… that’s quite a list you’ve compiled there. Well done, Keith. Pleased to see my two accounts (@luxury__travel and @ukseries) are both included. Thanks for that.

39. velvet 12/05/2009 5:06 pm

Thanks John!

40. Eric from EF 12/05/2009 4:05 pm

Great post, Keith. As a huge Twitter fan, it’s wonderful to see others promoting the value of Twitter to travelers.

Plus, your list is tremendous. I recently compiled a similar list of 50 travel tweeps on Twitter on our educational travel blog, Following the Equator. We included a lot of the same fine folks. Thanks for sharing.

We’re also on Twitter, providing tips and tidbits on educational travel. Maybe you’ll consider adding us the next time you update your list. Follow us @EFtours.

41. John 12/05/2009 4:58 pm

Hi Keith,
    I very much enjoy your Tweets and blogging. You use Twitter responsibly and interact with Tweeple in a positive way. Thank you for the list. I appear to be following a significant proportion of the Tweeple listed. I will check out some of the ones I’m not following and probably add a quite a few more to my follow list.
    John

42. velvet 12/05/2009 3:36 pm

Hi Mary Ann,
    Thanks for your comment. You’ve got some really cool France travel tips on your blog.

43. Mary Ann Grisham 12/05/2009 3:22 pm

Hi Keith, thanks for the great list. I just stated “tweeting” a few weeks ago, and am finding value, especially in the travel industry, where I’ve been working my whole life. I have a France blog http://www.enchanted-traveler.com so I hope you include me too some day. @enchantedtravel

44. Sian 11/05/2009 5:46 pm

Hi Keith,

Maybe you would think about following me, @sianw I work for a online hotel price comparison site trivago.

Sian

45. velvet 11/05/2009 5:19 pm

Hi there,
    You’re welcome. I’ll be keeping this list updated so check back every now and again for new Travel Tweeps.

46. Authentic Seacoast Resorts 11/05/2009 3:33 pm

Great list of travel tweeters, Keith! Thanks for adding @AuthenticCoast as a local source for Nova Scotia, Canada. We look forward to helping your readers find their way in our beautiful part of the world.

47. velvet 09/05/2009 6:16 pm

Thanks Lois. I’ll be updating the list from time to time so check back or bookmark it if you like.

Cheers from Amsterdam,

48. Lois 09/05/2009 6:07 pm

Thanks so much, Keith – v. useful list! I am now following you. I have recently started using Twitter (as @homeexchangeuk – about home exchange holidays) and it’s fascinating finding so many people involved in travel.

Cheers from London

49. velvet 09/05/2009 5:55 pm

Hi Donna,
    Thanks! I’ll be following you back! :-)

50. Donna Hull 09/05/2009 5:48 pm

Great list, Keith. I’m bookmarking as a resource. I twitter as @DonnaLHull (for My Itchy Travel Feet), talking about active travel for baby boomers which includes soft adventure, luxury, eco and cruise travel.

51. Happy Hotelier 07/05/2009 9:42 am

Thank you Keith!

52. velvet 06/05/2009 1:22 pm

Hi there,
    Thanks for your comment. I will update this list continuously as I find more interesting contacts via Twitter and will post an updated version every so often.

Best regards,

53. Gaby-Bali 06/05/2009 11:33 am

Hi Keith!Thanks for the crazy (exhaustive) yet useful post and recommended me as the Bali ‘secret keeper’ :p
    It’s amazing indeed to see the world is as big as the computer screen could reveals from here, and travel passionate people are all over the TweetWorld!!
    Cheers!

54. Tommy David - CheapHotelsGroup 06/05/2009 2:33 am

Keith, i follow you ont witter and this is a great post. I particular like the mention of #traveltuesday.

Hope you can keep the list updated as you find more and more interesting resources.

55. velvet 05/05/2009 8:45 pm

Thanks Janice! Never thought that this post would do as well as it has. I’m really happy with the attention it’s received.
    Great to see a lot of Twitter beginners picking up suggestions from this post.

56. Janice 05/05/2009 8:31 pm

What a smart idea and a great service for all travelers. Thanks!

57. velvet 05/05/2009 1:02 pm

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for your comment. I’ve seen hoteliers tailor-make trips for customers via Twitter. That direct contact is very cool and effective!

58. Chris 05/05/2009 12:56 pm

Great list, I agree twitter allows the direct contact with the hotelier, try also @noziotravel

59. velvet 04/05/2009 7:52 pm

Thank you Sharon for your comment. Brian’s a good pal of mine too and I’ve added him to the list.

Best regards,

60. Sharon 04/05/2009 7:45 pm

Great list here; I follow many of these myself. One of my other faves is @coqui2008 who is based in Puerto Rico and runs two travel related blogs.

61. Brian 04/05/2009 7:35 pm

Thanks for taking the time to compile this list – a very useful twitter travel resource.

@coqui2008 (for Puerto Rico tips) :o)

1. The Velvet Parade – celebrating 150 velvet escapes | Velvet Escape travel blog - 13/08/2011

[…] Twitter: A Traveller’s Treasure Trove My most popular post yet! My Twitter travel tweeps recommendations. […]

2. A #TravelTuesday shoutout to two great causes | velvet escape’s blog - 11/08/2009

[…] deals. For travel enthusiasts who are new to Twitter, #TravelTuesday is the perfect opportunity to discover and connect with a wide variety of travel bloggers, hoteliers, travel columnists, travel organisations and […]