It all started with a simple “Hello world“.
I was just back from an exhilarating and in certain ways life-changing five month round-the-world trip. I had experienced so much, seen so many places and met so many fascinating people that when I returned home, I felt I had to share it all. The creative and positive vibes were flooding my being and I had to find an outlet! It didn’t take long to come up with an idea to start a blog. Within weeks, the Velvet Escape blog was born.
Today, I celebrate my 150th post and I thought I would do something special to commemorate this milestone (you’re probably wondering why 150, not 100 perhaps? There’s a simple reason to that. I didn’t notice when I passed the 100 mark! ). Anyway, what better way to celebrate this milestone than to throw a parade! I’ve included in this parade some of my favourite posts, some of the most memorable ones and those by my most esteemed guest bloggers. Enjoy! And don’t forget to wave as they pass by!
I love everything about flying
- The Best Seat on the Plane One of my earliest posts; a timeless issue.
- Inflight food The good and the bad. My take on celebrity chefs.
- Keep your Seat-belts Fastened Listen to velvet!
- What’s the safest spot on a plane? My first top-3 spot on Google. Personally, I don’t think there is a ‘safest’ spot!
- Nail-biting landings We all love smooth landings. These are some hair-raising ones!
- Vancouver to Portland One of the most stunning flights I’ve been on.
- Sydney Harbour from the air My absolute favourite harbour in the world.
- Bora Bora from the air Neverland!
- Santiago to Punta Arenas The views from this flight beats everything!
Some of my favourite places & events
- Mardi Gras on Steroids Two events visitors to Amsterdam shouldn’t miss.
- A Dutch Floral Extravaganza Gorgeous gardens south of Amsterdam.
- Amsterdam Sharing my personal favourite spot.
- Whitehaven beach Who wouldn’t love this beach?
- The Great Ocean Road I wouldn’t have missed this drive for the world!
- Zanzibar This post brought back the memories of the spice-scented air..
- Sundays in San Telmo Ahhh, that tango evening is embedded in my memory forever!
Travel tips based on my experience
- Lend-a-Hand holidays A great way to spend a holiday.
- The Murals of Valparaiso The vivid colours are unforgettable.
- Ten Reasons to Travel Alone My first BIG post and my first #1 on Google!
- Ten Things to Do When You Travel Alone Another biggie & my second #1 on Google.
- Shop Till You Drop in Kuala Lumpur Don’t forget to pack easy walking shoes!
- Ten Tips for Planning a RTW Trip If you get the chance, grab it with both hands!
From my Travel Journal
- A desert full of wonders, San Pedro de Atacama, Chile Probably THE highlight of my RTW trip.
- The wonders of Angkor Wat, Cambodia Unforgettable Angkor.
- That rock star feeling in the Lost World (Iguazu Falls, Brazil/Argentina) Awe-inspiring falls.
- Getting over my Jaws complex (Lang Tengah, Malaysia) I still fear sharks but this was a step in the right direction!
My contribution to educating travellers
Some of the fabulous hotels I’ve featured
- Sofitel Motu Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- Hotel Indigo, Puerto Natales, Chile
- Hotel Bopha Angkor, Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Mine Boutique Hotel, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Robinson Crusoe Inn, Valparaiso, Chile
Ok, I’m a foodie!
- Punta Arenas, Chile
- Fremantle, Australia
- Valparaiso, Chile
- Five Splendid Wineries
- Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- Palma de Mallorca, Spain
A World of Inspiration – travel stories by guest writers
- NYC By @jenlaceda Reads like a novella.
- Traveling the World Ten Days a Year By @Travelogged Can we get more days off please?
- An Inspiring Safari Field Guide By @AfricaFreak A wonderful story from the African bush.
- A Familiar Face in a Foreign Land By @WildJunket One of my personal favourites.
- The Cellist & the Historian By @solotraveler A poignant story beautifully told.
- His First Flight By @thesolowriter The best kindnesses…
- The Man Behind the Miracle By @pen4hire A lovely story about an inspiring man.
Last but not least: My most memorable posts
- Travelling is good for you…even if you’re unemployed Especially if you’re looking to beef-up your cv.
- Liquids Restrictions on Planes II Coincidence or foresight?
- Help Revive the Global Economy Recommendations from an economist!
- Air Asia X’s Inaugural Flight to London This one was special. Helped consumers get their free tickets.
- The Most Impressive Tourist Attractions A wonderful experiment with @travelrants
- Ten Places I Would Love to Visit Part of my list of places to visit.
- Twitter: A Traveller’s Treasure Trove My most popular post yet! My Twitter travel tweeps recommendations.
- Fabulous Sunsets Love sunsets! My favourite sunset shots.
- Interview with Splendia My very first interview. Conducted on Twitter – a novel idea.
- Video Interview with Solo Traveler My very first video interview and the response was incredible.
- My Great Laundry Adventure Don’t try this!
- Culinary Journey: Whitsunday islands A whacky story I had to tell!
- Matador Network’s ‘Travel Therapy’ Photo Essay My first prize!
The Velvet Escape blog has certainly come a long way since that simple “Hello world”! It would have been a lot less fun if not for my wonderful readers who come back frequently and actively participate by leaving comments and tips. I’m very proud of this 150-milestone but more importantly, I’m very happy with and appreciative of the new friendships that have been built via this blog and Twitter. In addition, I’m very grateful for the continuous support from my new-found friends.
This celebration is not so much about me or Velvet Escape. It’s about celebrating friendships, life and diversity!