velvet escape’s Culinary Journey: Whitsunday islands

green tree ants

Courtesy of Alex Wild Photography

What: Green tree ant

Where: Whitsunday islands (Queensland, Australia)

Note: I got the unique opportunity to taste a green tree ant during a bushwalk on one of the Whitsunday islands. Our guide took us on a walk around the island to get acquainted with the vegetation and to show us how the Aboriginals utilised the different types of plants and trees. We stopped at a tree and our guide pointed out the hundreds of tree ants on the branches. He gently picked up one of the ants and showed us its lime-green butt. Seems the Aboriginals used the juices from the ant’s butt as a sort of medicine or aphrodisiac. He asked if anyone wanted to taste the juices and I volunteered. I gave the ant’s butt a quick lick and it tasted like a concentrated lime sherbet. I’m serious. That was a first for me: licking a tree ant’s butt! :-) That’s why I love to travel. The experiences are priceless!

Read about Whitehaven beach, a truly enchanting spot.

Read more Culinary Journey articles:

9 Responses to “velvet escape’s Culinary Journey: Whitsunday islands”

1. Julia 06/12/2012 3:55 pm

Lime sherbet? Wow, I would not have expected that. Still not sure I’d try one, but at least I’ll know what to expect should the opportunity ever arise ;)

2. Fida 19/07/2011 1:57 am

Didn’t know you were a but liker…hehehe.

3. Solo Road Trip 10/06/2009 3:33 pm

Lime sherbet is my favorite! And since I’m on a diet, I’m assuming that ant’s butt had ZERO calories. I wonder if those ants can be FedEx’d??

4. velvet 08/06/2009 11:37 pm

Hahaha! NO! A quick lick was sufficient! :-)

5. jen laceda 08/06/2009 8:53 pm

Hi, I was out of wifi connection the whole weekend, but am now back in business! Lime sherbet, huh? Did you have to bite into its butt? :)

6. velvet 08/06/2009 5:22 pm

Haha! It was a strange experience, I admit. The strong lime taste was certainly unforgettable!
    Thanks for your comment.

7. Melvin 08/06/2009 5:13 pm

I’m jealous! I also want to lick at an ants butt! For sure, a very cool experience!

1. The Velvet Parade – celebrating 150 velvet escapes | velvet escape's blog - 16/06/2009

[...] Culinary Journey: Whitsunday islands A whacky story I had to tell! [...]

2. velvet escape’s Culinary Journey: Palma de Mallorca | velvet escape's blog - 15/06/2009

[...] Whitsunday islands [...]