Serengeti magic

This is the first of a four-part series on safaris in Kenya and Tanzania. I’ve picked four of the most breathtaking national parks in these two countries to highlight, and included a photo essay of some of my favourite photos taken of these parks.

Serengeti Magic

The expansive plains of the Serengeti, dotted with herds of roaming impalas, topis, elephants, giraffes, gazelles, wildebeest and zebras, and the brilliant blue sky above is a breathtaking sight not to be missed. The Serengeti, Tanzania’s largest and most famous, extends from the edge of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area to the shores of Lake Victoria. The variety and number of animals that can be found here is absolutely staggering.

A drive through this enormous park reveals the splendor of its flora and fauna: the massive flat plains broken only by the occasional acacia tree; the lush forests along the shores of its rivers and streams that harbour its hippos, crocodiles, leopards, sable cats, lions, rock hyrax and amazing birdlife; and the stunning blue sky with its intriguing cloud formations. This is African nature at its best!

Spend sufficient time here to enjoy the sights and serenity this park offers. Go for various game drives or just laze by the hotel pool and listen to the birds; book a hot air balloon flight (especially if you’re there during the wildebeest migration season between July and November); or hide out at a watering hole and watch the animals drop by for a drink. The Serengeti is one of those places on Earth that is truly magical.

Scroll down for some of my best pictures of this truly enchanting park. Read the other editions of this African safari series: ‘The Splendor of Lake Nakuru‘, ‘The Majestic Masaai Mara‘ and the ‘Splendid Tarangire‘.

topi - one of my favourite photos

topis

Serengeti plains

Serengeti plains

gazelles

impalas

young giraffe

young giraffe

Serengeti sky

Serengeti sky

cute rock hyrax

cute rock hyrax

lions in the shade

lions in the shade

22 Responses to “Serengeti magic”

1. velvet 10/02/2011 10:07 am

I didn’t do a thing. Guess it was just happy to see me (LOL!) and started swaying! ;-)

2. ciki 10/02/2011 10:03 am

no kidding! it’s a kind of magic alright! you’ve got some amazing shots there. the sun rays are bouncing off the topis! the giraffe looks like it’s swaying.. ! how did u do that.. grrrr ;)

3. Nifty Options Tips 16/06/2010 8:07 pm

hi,

the second pic is my favorite pic.

thanks metrogyl

4. jen Laceda 05/05/2010 6:37 pm

Where did you stay in the Serengeti? I love those cuddly hyraxes. Do you know they’re related to elephants?

5. jessica 28/08/2009 2:07 pm

the first pic is my favl!! look at the legs and elegancy of that thing, the strike of light and the magic of it all! almost fantasy! again, congrats! :)

6. velvet 21/08/2009 11:05 am

Hi Ted,
    Thank you for your comment. ‘WOL’! Haha!

7. Ted Nelson 21/08/2009 4:39 am

The picture of the tree with the Serengetti sky made me wol (wow out loud) lol.

8. velvet 19/08/2009 3:09 pm

Then you’ll love two of the posts in this series! More photos to get you going! :-)

9. Dave and Deb 19/08/2009 2:57 pm

I am so sad that we didn’t make it to the Serengetti! Can you believe it? We climbed Kilimanjaro instead and then decided to fly to Zanzibar instead of Safari. We had to skip Kenya while we were there because of the Civil unrest, so we will just have to go back to see Kenya and the Serengetti. Your photos make me really want to go now!

10. jen Laceda 18/08/2009 6:26 pm

I can’t wait for the entire series! As you may already know, safari is tops on my life’s must-do list! Hopefully, soon!!!!

11. Johan 18/08/2009 5:07 pm

Keith, can you tell me if that is a male or female giraffe and why?
    (Just checking how much you know! :-))

12. velvet 18/08/2009 5:18 pm

Haha! I think it’s a female giraffe. Something about having shorter necks than males? Or am I not even close?! :-)

13. velvet 18/08/2009 4:33 pm

Thanks Amy. Yes, the diversity of the wildlife there is just phenomenal. Thanks for commenting.

14. Amy @ The Q Family 18/08/2009 4:25 pm

Love the Sky picture!!! It’s amazing to see how many animals you met and how close you were.

15. velvet 18/08/2009 3:29 pm

Thanks for your comment Brian. I can certainly recommend Tanzania. It is so different, and Zanzibar is a gem!

16. Brian 18/08/2009 3:26 pm

never made it to the Serengeti, but had a fantastic time in Kenya, several years ago. Visited Samburu, Lake Nakura, Sweetwaters Camp and Masai Mara. Planning on returning some time :o)

1. The sky above the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania | velvet escape's blog - 09/02/2011

[…] the accompanying post: “Serengeti Magic“. See other Velvet […]

2. Impalas, Serengeti National Park | The Happy Explorer - 07/06/2010

[…] the accompanying post: ‘Serengeti Magic‘. Monday, June 7th, 2010 Africa TAGS: […]

3. Velvet moments: Serengeti, Tanzania | velvet escape's blog - 05/05/2010

[…] the accompanying post: ‘Serengeti Magic‘. See other Velvet […]

4. The exotic isle of Zanzibar | velvet escape's blog - 03/11/2009

[…] Read about some of Tanzania’s most breathtaking natural attractions: the Ngorongoro crater and the Serengeti. […]

5. The Splendid Tarangire | velvet escape's blog - 29/09/2009

[…] my best pictures of this splendid park. Read the other editions of this African safari series: ‘Serengeti Magic‘, ‘The Splendor of Lake Nakuru‘ and ‘The Majestic Masaai Mara‘. Baobabs at […]

6. The splendor of Lake Nakuru | velvet escape's blog - 28/08/2009

[…] down to view some of my best pictures of this magnificent park. See the first edition ‘Serengeti Magic‘. impalas marabous & flamingos flamingos more flamingos pelicans baboon with baby rhino […]