Picture perfect Bruges

Bruges or Brugge (in Flemish) is a stunning medieval town in the west of Belgium. This UNESCO World Heritage site is world-famous for its heritage buildings and canals, intricate lace and some yummy delights: mussels and fries (‘moules et frites’, or ‘mosselen en frieten’ in Flemish), CHOCOLATES and BEER! Yes, Bruges is a paradise for chocolate and beer-lovers. There are many chocolate boutiques, and cafés which serve hundreds of beers. If you’re looking for exquisite cuisine, Bruges also boasts some of the best restaurants in Belgium (see Culinary Journey: Bruges). In addition, Bruges has some fascinating museums that are certainly worth exploring, such as the Chocolate Museum, the Friet (Belgian fries) Museum and the Diamond Museum.

The best way to explore Bruges is to walk. You’ll soon discover that the word ‘quaint’ was probably invented here! The lovely centuries-old buildings, cobblestone streets, enchanting squares, picturesque canals and gorgeous houses will transport you back to an almost surreal medieval world (if you can block out the droves of day-trippers!). A visit to Belgium would not be complete without spending at least two days in Bruges.

Scroll down to view a photo essay of Bruges.

The Bruges Belfry

The Bruges Belfry

A quaint street in Bruges (Academie straat)

A quaint street in Bruges (Academie straat)

There are a lot of shops selling Bruges lace

There are a lot of shops selling Bruges lace

The 'Markt' or main square with the town hall

The 'Markt' or main square with the town hall

Dumon chocolaterie; one of the oldest & most famous in Bruges

Dumon chocolatier; one of the oldest & most famous in Bruges

The Cambrinus beer house serves more than 400 types of beer!

The Cambrinus beer house serves more than 400 types of beer!

Some of Bruges' most famous monuments

Some of Bruges' most famous monuments

The Steenhouwers canal

The lovely Steenhouwers canal

The enchanting Begijnhof or beguinage

The enchanting Begijnhof or beguinage

An intriguing sculpture on the Wal square

An intriguing sculpture on the Wal square

Chocolates galore!

Chocolates galore!

Orval beer: one of my favourites! Fab bottle!

Orval beer: one of my favourites! Fab bottle!

And you can't leave Bruges without having mussels & fries!

And you can't leave Bruges without having mussels & fries!

Another favourite beer of mine: Brugse Zot

Another favourite beer of mine: Brugse Zot

I saw this in a window and thought, WOW! That's a VELVET ESCAPE!

I saw this in a window and thought, WOW! That's a VELVET ESCAPE!

Search for hotels in Bruges.

17 Responses to “Picture perfect Bruges”

1. Myra 01/09/2010 6:32 pm

I spent part of my honeymoon in Bruges. I fondly remember the chocolate, frites and lovely canals. Beautiful pictures!

2. chicago medical billing 27/08/2010 8:20 pm

Aaahaa…the little Venice of the north! I loved Bruges and it would have to be one of my favourite European cities. such wonderful list thanks for sharing.

3. Andy 24/07/2010 5:48 pm

There’s so much to see and do in Bruges! Loved your photos. We enjoyed our trip there so much that we’ve written this free guide with recommendations on what to see…

Free Bruges City Guide

4. velvet 27/01/2010 11:13 am

Thanks Annika! Glad you like VE! :-)

5. Annika 27/01/2010 10:51 am

Great post! The photos are gorgeous. I came across your blog through Blogsherpa on LP. I’m a big fan and can’t wait to read more!

6. velvet 21/01/2010 12:22 pm

Oh yes, a beer & those mussels for lunch. And some chocolate as dessert. Yum! :-)

7. Travelfusion 21/01/2010 12:19 pm

I’m glad you liked it! I absolutely loved your photos – but now I’m craving chocolate……or beer! ;)

K

8. velvet 21/01/2010 12:12 pm

Hi Kathryn,

Woohoo! Thanks for the feature! Really appreciate it. Love your intro! :-)
    Bruges is absolutely a perfect weekend city break.

9. Travelfusion 21/01/2010 11:47 am

Fantastic post – I love Bruges and would love to go back again in 2010!

I’ve featured your post in my newest blog about city break ideas from London…check it out here – http://blog.travelfusion.com/2010/01/21/city-breaks-where-to-go-next/

Kathryn

10. Kirsty Wilson 15/01/2010 11:52 pm

Aaah…the little Venice of the north! I loved Bruges and it would have to be one of my favourite European cities. I recommend it to any Aussie heading to Europe. #dream #travel ;-)

11. Travel Blogs 13/01/2010 10:52 am

looks a bit like utrecht, nice pictures

12. velvet 12/01/2010 7:23 pm

Thanks for your comment Melvin! Yup, Bruges is certainly worth a recommendation even if it’s touristic. In the evenings, when all the day-trippers have gone, the town is simply enchanting!

13. Melvin 12/01/2010 6:42 pm

I’ve been to Bruges for a weekend, too and even if it is/was totally touristic, it was a really nice weekend. I can recommend everyone to visit Bruges.

1. Photo Essay: Bruges Through the Lens « the Cultureur - 13/09/2012

[…] Picture Perfect Bruges by Velvet Escape […]

2. A mouth-watering Christmas chocolate display in Bruges | velvet escape's blog - 22/12/2010

[…] Read the accompanying post: “Picture Perfect Bruges“. […]

3. Bruges: a chocolate heaven | The Happy Explorer - 04/08/2010

[…] the accompanying post: ‘Picture Perfect Bruges‘. Wednesday, August 4th, 2010 Europe TAGS: Belgium, city, […]

4. A stroll through Palma de Mallorca | velvet escape's blog - 20/05/2010