Plane views: Victoria Falls

The Victoria Falls are one of the most iconic falls in the world. The falls, located on the Zambezi River, are on the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe. A UNESCO World Heritage site, the falls are one of the largest in the world, with a width of about a mile and a drop of more than 300 feet. On my flight from Johannesburg to Livingstone (Zambia), I was thrilled when the pilot announced that we would fly directly over the falls and that they would be visible on the left side of the plane – I almost cried with joy as I was sitting in row ‘A’! Lucky me! On the plane’s approach into Livingstone, we got a spectacular view of the Zambezi gorges, downstream from the falls. I didn’t have my camera with me so I pulled out my iPhone (in Flight Mode of course) and started snapping.

zambezi-gorge-photo

The Zambezi gorge

Moments later, the falls came into view. The Zambezi River can be seen in the bottom right of the photo (below) before it plunges into the gorge. The river then flows through the Victoria Falls gorges in a zig-zag pattern. The bridge that crosses the river is the famous Victoria Falls Bridge that connects Zimbabwe (right side of the bridge) and Zambia (left).

aerial-view-victoria-falls-africa-photo

Aerial view of Victoria Falls

Want to know what the falls look like from the ground? See this Velvet Moment or read about my visit to the Victoria Falls.

See other Plane Views from around the world.

7 Responses to “Plane views: Victoria Falls”

1. Zorica 22/11/2012 6:09 pm

That must have been amazing to see :)

2. Gabriel 10/10/2012 7:15 pm

Its truly amazing how large the falls really are and how much water is coming off it.

3. velvet 09/10/2012 4:31 pm

It sure was a grand view. I visited the Iguazu Falls several weeks before this trip to the Vic Falls. I’ve written several posts about the Iguazu Falls on this blog. :-)

4. Addison S. @ Visa Hunter 09/10/2012 3:49 pm

What a view you had. I think I’d also have shed a tear if I’d been given row A. Nice to see the falls and Zambezi from another angle, makes you appreciate its true size. Have you seen Iguazu Falls on the Argentina/Brazil border? If you are a waterfall fan then I highly recommend it.

5. crazy sexy fun traveler 05/10/2012 2:38 pm

I would love to see that!

6. Jeremy 02/10/2012 4:49 pm

Cool perspective, I’ve never seen pictures of the falls from so high above before…! :)

1. Reasons to book a window seat - in photos | Velvet Escape - 22/03/2013

[...] Viaduct, the Andes mountains, the Atacama desert, Mount Vesuvius, Canadian Arctic, the Dead Sea, Victoria Falls, Vancouver, Amsterdam and the European [...]