Spellbound in Chobe

chobe-national-park-entrance-photo

Chobe NP

The Chobe National Park is situated in northern Botswana and is home to large herds of elephants, giraffes, hippo’s, many species of antelope and a great variety of birds. The Chobe and Zambezi Rivers form the northern boundary of the park, as well as the boundaries between Botswana, Namibia and Zambia. The park, in the heart of southern Africa, is a popular safari destination as it offers a variety of options to view the abundant wildlife. Visitors get to see the animals up close on any of the land and water-based safaris whilst plane tours offer spectacular aerial views of the park. The best time to visit the Chobe National Park is during the winter months but in principle, there’s plenty of wildlife spotting opportunities throughout the year.

I visited in the winter and was blown away by the beauty of the region. It was cold, especially in the mornings and evenings, but the spectacular wildlife sightings – and the warm blankets – more than compensated for the chill factor. I stayed on the Zambezi Queen, a safari cruise boat and made various excursions to the park by boat and jeep. After my first day at the park, I knew it for sure… I was spellbound by the stunning natural beauty and tranquility of the park.

Chobe National Park in photos

As a tribute to the park, here’s a photo essay of the amazing sights I had the pleasure of witnessing during both my boat and jeep safaris.

chobe-jeep-safari-photo

Our jeep

male-impala-chobe-photo

Our first animal sighting!

giraffes-chobe-photo

A pair of giraffes

kudu-chobe-photo

A kudu and giraffe

female-impala-photo

A gorgeous impala

jeep-safari-chobe-botswana-photo

On the jeep safari

warthogs-chobe-photo

Warthogs

male-kudu-photo

Kudu – doesn’t he look majestic?

elephants-hippos-chobe-photo

On the river safari, we got up close to elephants and hippo’s

elephants-swimming-photo

I didn’t know elephants could swim!

elephants-chobe-photo

Elephants

river-safari-chobe-botswana-photo

River safari at sunset

giraffes-sunset-photo

Giraffes near the riverbank at sunset

chobe-botswana-sunset-photo

A glorious sunset at Chobe

There are two main gateways into Chobe, both in the northern section of the park: Kasane, in Botswana, and Livingstone in Zambia, both of which have international airports. The northern section of the park is especially popular due to its proximity to other attractions such as the Victoria Falls in Zambia/Zimbabwe, the Caprivi Strip in Nambia and the Okavango delta in Botswana.

Search for hotels in Chobe.

Note: a big thank you goes to the staff of the Zambezi Queen for your wonderful hospitality. All views expressed above are, as always, mine.

17 Responses to “Spellbound in Chobe”

1. Will 17/08/2014 4:06 am

Amazing creatures … one of these days, I’ll see to see them face to face as well!

2. Keith Jenkins 01/05/2013 9:55 pm

You can also see them in the wild in Kenya and Tanzania, amongst others.

3. Julio Moreno 30/04/2013 1:17 pm

I love hippos. I was under the impression that Gabon was the only place I would see them in a non-zoo setting. Awesome pics btw.

4. Charu 08/04/2013 3:10 pm

I’m glad this was a great experience, and nice spotlight on a National Park that’s not THAT widely publicized

5. Udo Weisner, Jo Igele Reiseblog 30/03/2013 2:30 pm

It looks like I´ve found a new destination for my Bucket List. It´s nice to view your fotos, but it would be better to take some myself. :-)

6. rob hermans 14/01/2013 3:05 pm

iwanna go there, Iwanna Iwanna Ghobe Go there!

7. Keith Jenkins 10/12/2012 5:35 pm

Hi Jennifer,
    It’s one of my favourite pics too – those two were so cute together! :-)

8. Jennifer 10/12/2012 5:20 pm

I especially love the photos of the giraffes. They’re one of my favorite animals!

9. sasha the traveller 14/11/2012 5:40 pm

I was in Botswana in 1999 and had the fortune to visit Chobe and have wonderful memories of the place. The only disappointment I had was I didn’t see any lions, they were being too lazy sitting in the shade at a distance. Other than that it was a fantastic experience!

10. velvet 09/10/2012 1:34 pm

I visited in the winter – guess that’s why it looks dry and desert-like.

11. French Travel Guide 09/10/2012 1:24 pm

Great shots of different animals. Chobe National Park looks like a dessert and dry. However, I really find the park very interesting.

12. velvet 04/10/2012 2:35 pm

Haha, no. I spent my birthday at home. :-)

13. velvet 04/10/2012 2:35 pm

Thanks Simon! I heard about Moremi too when I was there. Next time, next time…. :-)

14. OutsideTheGuidebook 04/10/2012 1:21 pm

Amazing pictures mate! Is this where you celebrated your 40th?

15. Simon 03/10/2012 8:40 pm

What great memories! I loved Botswana and Chobe, although I would say that personally my favorite place was Moremi.

1. Sunset on the Chobe River | The Happy Explorer - 26/03/2013

[…] is a tributary of the mighty Zambezi River and forms the border between Botswana and Namibia. The Chobe National Park is situated on the southern banks of the river and is home to large herds of elephants, […]

2. A safari cruise on the Zambezi Queen | Velvet Escape - 12/02/2013

[…] a variety of activities were organised for the guests, including boat and jeep safaris around the Chobe National Park in Botswana. The Zambezi Queen cruised along the Chobe River in the mornings and stayed anchored in […]