Velvet Moments: travel photo – a sea of tulips

Last week, I posted a plea to the Weather Gods to usher in the spring a.s.a.p.! That didn’t quite work, unfortunately. ;-) So, here’s some inspiration to get everyone into the mood for a colourful spring and a lovely warm summer! A walk around the tulips fields in Holland is one of my favourite things to do in spring. There are guided walks that will lead you through a dazzling sea of tulips. The most popular flower-growing area in Holland is around the town of Lisse (30 minutes drive, southwest of Amsterdam), also home to the famous Keukenhof gardens. My favourite area lies to the north of Amsterdam between the towns of Schoorl, Callantsoog and Schagen. The endless fields of flowers will simply blow you away! Read the accompanying post: “Holland At Its Best“, and enjoy this sea of tulips!

A sea of red tulips

A sea of red tulips

multi-colored-tulips-holland-photo

A blaze of colour!

path-through-tulil-fields-photo

A path through the tulip fields.

See other Velvet Moments.

11 Responses to “Velvet Moments: travel photo – a sea of tulips”

1. The Nomadi Nepali 04/08/2013 11:50 am

oh no i missed it when I was in Holland, next time I make sure not to miss since it looks amazing :)

2. Steve 22/07/2013 4:23 pm

These look absolutely beautiful!

3. Chris 09/07/2013 1:45 pm

Holland is one of my top priority places to visit, I really enjoyed your photos and would love to see more.

4. Keith Jenkins 12/04/2013 5:31 pm

LOL! :-) Sure is a nice blast of colour. Hope you get some warmer days soon!

5. Leigh 12/04/2013 5:30 pm

Nice to see a blast of colour. I’ve been shoveling snow this week. I buy cut tulips to perm me up.

6. Keith Jenkins 10/04/2013 10:20 am

Hi Adam,
    That’s right. The flower auction market is in the town of Aalsmeer, a short drive south of Amsterdam. It’s definitely a must-see!

7. Adam Sommer 09/04/2013 5:57 pm

I have always wanted to visit Holland during the spring (Ive been a bunch, always in the winter though). I hear there is a great (and large) market where whole sellers market tulips that is also a great site!

8. Bianca 09/04/2013 6:34 am

Spare a thought for us in the Southern Hemisphere. Our days are getting shorter and cooler and spring seems a long way away.
    Great photos. I can hardly wait for my bulbs to bloom in my front garden again.

9. Keith Jenkins 06/04/2013 4:32 pm

Hi Brett,
    No, these pictures were taken last year. The Keukenhof gardens are open so you’ll see some blooms there but the fields won’t be in full bloom yet. Way too cold right now.

10. Brett Domue 05/04/2013 6:53 pm

Are these from this year already? Or has the cold kept them from blooming yet? We’re thinking of heading up tomorrow before we hit the airport for our flight to Taiwan if they’re in bloom…

11. Theresa Jenkins 05/04/2013 12:58 pm

Oh its so lovely Keith. The rows of colours makes you feel so fresh and lively.