Ten cities I would visit again

One of Montreal's many spiral staircases.

One of Montreal’s many spiral staircases.

and again… and again… and again. There are some cities that I just can’t get enough of. It could be for any particular reason: the energy, a lively culinary scene, a spectacular setting, a melting-pot of cultures, history, architecture, a laid-back pace or a mix of everything. These are cities that I would never tire of visiting. Without further ado, here they are, in no particular order (I’ve included links to my posts of each city so feel free to read more):

Montréal

Ahhh, Montréal! I love this city! From Old Montréal with its gorgeous historic buildings to the city’s striking architecture and arts/design scene, fab restaurants and lovely parks, this city has tonnes to offer. Most of all, I love the energy in this city, a unique brand of joie de vivre that never let’s you go once it has you in its grip!

Berlin

Arguably one of the coolest cities in the world, Berlin is an awe-inspiring mix of historical landmarks, cutting-edge architecture, a vibrant cultural and arts/design scene, and some of the friendliest people in any capital city.

colorful-murals-friedrichshain-photo

Colourful murals adorn these buildings in the Kreutzigerstrasse in Friedrichshain.

Melbourne

Australia’s second-largest city is a true delight that begs to be explored. Melbourne‘s coffee scene is second to none and the culinary landscape is varied and highly developed. Stroll around the hidden lanes and arcades, go shopping in South Yarra or wander around the Botanical Gardens and feel Melbourne cast its spell on you!

melbourne-skyline-photo

The Melbourne skyline as seen from the banks of the Yarra River.

Buenos Aires

Famous for its tango, steaks and Evita, Buenos Aires has much more to offer. I stayed for five days on my first visit, and a whole month on my second! From colourful San Telmo to grand Recoleta, Buenos Aires’s neighbourhoods are a joy to explore!

plaza-mayo-buenos-aires

The famous Plaza Mayo with the Casa Rosada

Sydney

I have a soft spot for Sydney as I spent quite a bit of time here as a teenager. The harbour, with its iconic Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House, is absolutely spectacular – I could spend hours here just watching the goings-on in the deep blue harbour. But don’t forget the historic Rocks, Darling Harbour and Sydney’s melting pot of cultures reflected in its foodie, cultural and arts scenes.

sydney-harbour-aerial-view-photo

Aerial view of Sydney Harbour

Cape Town

Another stunning harbour-side city which I can’t get enough of! The views from the top of Table Mountain are bewildering, as is the drive around the Cape Peninsula. Cape Town is a lively hodge-podge of markets, historic buildings, colourful neighbourhoods like Bo Kaap and terrific restaurants and cafés.

v&a-waterfront-cape-town-photo

The V&A Waterfront in Cape Town

New York

My first trip to New York left me quite literally breathless from excitement. It’s one of those amazing cities that just lifts you off your feet and takes you for an exhilarating spin. How could I not include New York in this list!

NYC by twilight.

NYC by twilight.

London

Another global city that you can return to time and time again without ever getting bored! London, like New York, can be overwhelming at first so the trick is to take your time and experience the city in little bites.

thames-london-night-view-photo

The Thames (image courtesy of Abigail King)

Kuala Lumpur

The city I called home for 17 years. Kuala Lumpur looks a lot different now compared to the sleepy place I knew when I was growing up. This city has developed so fast in the past 20 years that I’m always amazed each time I return. The Petronas Twin Towers are the city’s biggest icons but there are lush parks, bustling markets, massive malls and a world-class foodie scene all waiting to be discovered.

Old railway station in Kuala Lumpur.

Old railway station in Kuala Lumpur.

Istanbul

Straddling two continents, the word ‘exotic’ was probably invented here! With its ancient monuments, stunning mosques, imposing palaces and bustling bazaars, Istanbul is a wonder in itself. I’ll never tire of the breathtaking views across the Bosphorus and visits to the numerous hammams!

golden-horn-galata-bridge-istanbul-photo

Istanbul – the Golden Horn (image courtesy of Hector Garcia)

So there you go: the cities I would visit again! Now, wouldn’t it be cool to do a round-the-world trip through these ten cities? ;-)

22 Responses to “Ten cities I would visit again”

1. Samantha 21/10/2014 11:40 pm

Great list and beautiful pictures but I think you are missing Budapest in the list.

2. the paper boat sailor @ Paper Boats 11/10/2014 10:40 am

New York is my eternal favourite, but I think after this year’s Scotland trip, I’ll have to bump London (not that it’s not awesome) for the even more enchanting Edinburgh.
    Love your list, and so many cities on there I’m dying to visit.

3. The Scuttlefish 01/10/2014 11:49 am

Great compilation! I’m dying to go to Istanbul, and am forever nostalgic for New York and London. Although I do love Edinburgh as well, especially during the Fringe Festival, and my list would also include the colourful bustle of Kathmandu.

4. Jack 09/07/2014 2:29 pm

I really lack Stockholm in this list. It is a great city to visit, especially in summer. And although Sweden is pretty expensive I organize my visit on a budget staying in cheap yet neat and nice hotels or hostels. My favorite is Lodge32.

5. Keith Jenkins 05/07/2014 8:39 am

Thanks Michelle! :-)

6. Michelle 29/06/2014 9:54 am

Still haven’t made it to Australia, but it’s on my list. And, as friends tell me Melbourne is the place to go, that’s where I’ll be starting :)

Agree with you on Kuala Lumpur as well. I’m currently living in Bangkok so tend to visit KL four or five times a year. Love the city and the people and always look forward to going back.

Nice blog, btw.

7. Brenda 08/05/2014 1:58 pm

Great list and stunning photo. Glad to see that Cape Town made your list as well :-)

8. Slovenia 02/05/2014 8:49 am

Great article, I would love to visit some of those cities once.

9. Sally 29/04/2014 3:13 am

Charming selection of locations. I have been to Germany and never predicted to see the picture you revealed of the position. Thanks for sharing.

10. Keith Jenkins 28/04/2014 12:41 pm

I love Vancouver! I’ve been there more than ten times I think and just can’t get enough of its spectacular location between the mountains and the ocean.

11. Uma 27/04/2014 5:08 am

Just love KL for its foodie scene … what do you think of Vancouver (my favourite city)?

12. Keith Jenkins 24/04/2014 6:07 pm

Thank you Shereen! :-)

13. Shereen 24/04/2014 2:34 pm

What a great list. I’ve visited 3 out of the 10 places and would totally agree with you for Montreal, New York and London. I’m looking forward to hopefully adding Istanbul on that list very soon. Great photos as well! Love city art so the picture of the murals is amazing.

14. Hannah Wasielewski 23/04/2014 1:13 pm

I have been to buenos aires, NYC and London and couldn’t agree more about those cities! There’s just so much to do and new things to see every time you go. I’m heading to Australia in February, so I’m sure Melbourne and Sydney will be added to the list soon!

15. William Smith 22/04/2014 12:57 pm

Very good list, All these places are famous for tourist attractions. So I would like to visit all these places…..

16. Keith Jenkins 21/04/2014 11:56 am

That’s a hard choice to make as they’re both so different. I visit both cities every year and always have a great time. If there’s one big difference, it would be that Berlin is somewhat cheaper than London to visit/live.

17. Renuka 18/04/2014 5:17 pm

I wanted to do a similar post and here I see you doing it! You have picked the best of the cities in the world – London, New York, Sydney …. Melbourne is my favorite too and I long to travel to London.

18. Angelo 15/04/2014 8:09 am

Between the two, what do you recommend, Berlin or London? And why?

19. Sofie 11/04/2014 11:02 pm

I’ve been to Berlin, London and NYC. Would love to visit the others, though. Especially Istanbul intrigues me.

20. Keith Jenkins 11/04/2014 10:19 pm

Thanks Lesley! :-)

21. Johan 11/04/2014 3:48 pm

Lovely collection of places. I have been to Berlin and never expected to see the image you showed of the place. Interesting.

22. Lesley Peterson 10/04/2014 1:38 am

Inspiring photos, Keith! I’d love to see Sydney’s famous harbour or explore Kuala Lumpur’s foodie delights.