When I was a child, my parents bought me an encyclopedia set called ‘The World & Its People”. The facts, stories and pictures of every corner of our globe made a huge impression on me – that was the start of my love affair with travel. I studied each and every page of that 26-volume set countless times and made mental notes of the places that intrigued me. Thirty years later, and having covered hundreds of thousands of miles across 60-odd countries and territories, the list of places I would love to visit has shrunk somewhat. However, there are still so many other intriguing places that remain to be explored. I’ve listed below some of the places that are at the top of my list (with links to their corresponding pages on Wikipedia):
- Okavango Delta, Botswana – The world’s largest inland delta. I’ve heard so many stories of its spectacular wildlife.
- Samarkand & Bukhara, Uzbekistan – these historic cities are a showcase of Islamic art and architecture.
- Grand Canyon, USA – I flew over it once on a flight from Houston to San Francisco. It looked spectacular from the air and I promised myself I would visit it one day.
- Li River, China – a cruise along this river with its imposing limestone outcrops would be awesome.
- Antartica – I had the opportunity last year but chose not to go. It was a lucky call; the ship struck an iceberg and everyone was evacuated.
- Victoria Falls, Zambia – my aim is to see (all?) the world’s great waterfalls and this is surely one of them.
- Luxor and Aswan, Egypt – maybe a cruise down the Nile to visit these ancient sites.
- Nazka lines, Peru – one of the world’s greatest mysteries.
- Timbuktu, Mali – a friend of mine stayed in this ancient city of mud for a month and can’t stop talking about it!
- Rajasthan, India – this region of India is truly majestic… say all my friends who’ve been there.
Now all I have to do is find the time and the resources to make these trips! 🙂 Which destinations are on your wish list? I would love to read about the places on your list and get some great ideas. If you’ve been to any of the places above, I would be very interested to hear about any tips or advice you may have. Thanks!