Enchanting spots: Chichén Itzá

11 Responses to “Enchanting spots: Chichén Itzá”

1. velvet 03/05/2010 4:31 pm

Haha, yup, Tulum was like a big circus. :-) What I liked about it was the El Castillo at the edge of the cliff, overlooking the blindingly white beaches and the incredible colour of the sea. Stunning spot.

2. ayngelina. 03/05/2010 4:27 pm

I’m traveling through Mexico right now and I’d have to say that Chichen Itza was impressive structurally but I agree that Tikal was a more interesting experience as it was in the jungle.

For me, Tulum is just meh..

3. Life for Beginners 03/05/2010 3:03 pm

Would love to visit Chichén Itzá one day, even if I can’t climb the Castillo – it will still be quite an experience! :)

4. velvet 03/10/2009 10:07 pm

Thanks for your comment Shelley. Yes, Tikal is awesome as well. It was one of my featured ‘Enchanting spots’ a while back. Yes, most of the pictures (95%+) on this blog are mine.

5. Shelley 03/10/2009 1:16 am

Cichen Itza is a magical place! We were lucky to be there back in 1998 when you could still climb the Great Pyramid. The view from the top is amazing. I think being there, the first of my Mayan ruins got me hooked. This past summer my husband and I got to visit Tikal in Guatemala. It was amazing. You can read about my adventures in my blog!

Your blog is great. Are they all your pictures?

6. Daniel 02/10/2009 9:26 am

Hey Keith — nice glimpse. I’m hoping to head to Chichén Itzá later this fall!

7. velvet 02/10/2009 1:28 am

Thanks for your comment Aye. That’s a pity. Chichen Itza is really worthwhile. Tulum is also a fascinating site (I love its location on the cliffs overlooking the turquoise sea) but I’m not so sure about the ‘circus’ around it. And I’m not a fan of kiddie-trains either. Watch this space. I have another fab enchanting spot in Mexico coming up soon! :-)

8. @GotPassport 02/10/2009 12:46 am

I went to Mexico in the early 90’s and did not make it to this amazing place… what was I thinking. Since the 90’s been to Cancun, Cozumel , Acumal, Tulum, Riviera Maya many times.. but not to CI!! I have head that Tulum is now completely commercialized. And not sure if they allow people to go up to those ruins any more. Like you say, I can understand why!! Hope to make it there soon!

9. velvet 01/10/2009 7:54 pm

Thanks for your comment Jen. I’m really glad you didn’t drown because I got to know you! :-)
    Hope all is well with you.

10. jen Laceda 01/10/2009 7:32 pm

A trip to Chichen Itza was the highlight of a garrish Cancun vacation I went to with buddies in 2000! Ha! While Cancun left a bitter taste in my mouth (my boyfriend & I broke up, I almost drowned, my friend almost drowned, and our group was fighting), Chichen Itza was a pleasant diversion. It was a time where we could still climb the precipitous temple steps, and it was awesome!!! Our guide tried to teach us Mayan Math, and of course, I failed to understand it. It was base 12 or something :)

1. Things to see and do in Cancun - 20/05/2014

[…] superstar, though, is Chichen Itza. About 100 miles west of Cancun, here is a slice of A-list archaeology so impressive (the giant El […]