Travelations: the trip that opened my eyes

I had been working at a Dutch bank for ten years when it was taken over. Months passed before it became clear to me that I needed a break. I was exhausted and I felt jaded. Many aspects of my life had gone into auto-pilot mode and I was just there for the ride. I was tired of it. I wanted to renew my zest for life, reignite my passions and start to really enjoy the things and people I love. I left the bank in the summer of 2008 and embarked on a five-month journey around the world; a journey that opened my eyes to the world around me and provided fresh insights. This trip changed my life in many ways. The repercussions of this trip linger as I find myself trudging along a new path full of adventure, challenges and inspiration.

I wrote an essay documenting the circumstances that led me to leave the corporate world behind, the things I learned during my world trip and my endeavours since. You can find this essay in the 9-page free e-book by clicking on the cover below.

FREE E-BOOK!

Travelations

38 Responses to “Travelations: the trip that opened my eyes”

1. rula 18/12/2012 7:55 am

ooooo same passion as me , inshALLAH I will do the same trip in the future.Best of luck for you Jenkins..:)

2. Claudia 01/07/2011 2:37 pm

This is great. Thank you very much.

3. velvet 30/01/2011 12:18 am

Thanks! I sure will give you a heads up if I’m in LA.
    Cheers, Keith :-)

4. Sambayogi 29/01/2011 7:07 pm

Bravo, Keith. Sounds like you’ve come a long way :-) Nothing better than traveling to teach us to be present, while crisis is nature’s way of telling us to change or be changed. Keep going with the flow and better things will come your way :-) Give a holler if you’re ever in LA! – Vicky

5. Lisa at Wanderlust Weddings 10/07/2010 3:24 pm

Keith – it looks great.
    Glad you followed your dream :)

6. velvet 09/07/2010 2:05 pm

Thank you Clare for your comment and your unwavering support. Really appreciate it.

Big hugs,

7. Andrew Murray 09/07/2010 1:47 pm

Just setting out on such a venture myself, it is reassuring to read your article and all of the supportive posts. Great stuff everybody :)

8. Clare Appleyard 09/07/2010 1:03 pm

Hi Keith,

Wow, wow, wow. I had no idea about your background or your story until this link was just posted on Twitter.

Thank you for sharing! Quitting the corporate world and all the (fake) security it offers is a massive jump and few people have the courage to do it. Too many people are caught up in the vicious circle of working to survive and so few people are willing to do anything about it – so kudos to you for taking the plunge :-)

And, as you know, once you’ve tasted freedom you’ll never look back! Here’s to completed freedom and discovering all the wonderful places the wolrd has to offer – cheers!

Clare
    xx

9. velvet 09/07/2010 12:50 pm

You already are. :-)
    Thanks so much for all your support Mei!

Lotsa hugs,

10. cumidanciki 09/07/2010 12:48 pm

touching & inspirational:) hope to be as successful as you one day Keith:D

11. GRRRL TRAVELER 16/01/2010 9:59 pm

Thanks for sharing your story! It’s a brave thing you’re doing and efinitely very inspiring to all of us many who are looking to make the shift in our own lives. Look forward to reading more.

12. velvet 31/12/2009 1:28 pm

Thank you Johan. Best wishes for a fab 2010 to you too!

13. Johan Knols 31/12/2009 1:04 pm

Wishing you a very prosperous 2010 Keith and happy blogging!!

Johan.

14. velvet 13/12/2009 4:20 pm

Thank you for your comment Linda. Really happy that you love my blog! :-)
    Regarding your query, I was in Seminyak, Bali just last August and it was fine. The Kuta/Seminyak/Legian area is a popular tourist stretch with lots of hotels, restaurants, shops and bars. Kuta is especially a popular surf spot for people from around the world, including many young Australians. Many foreigners also live in this area, giving it a very international feel. I’ve been to Bali four times and not once did I feel unsafe. I truly love Bali and its people. The terrorist attacks there were horrid and took many years for the tourist industry to recover but something like that can happen anywhere in the world. In recent years, security, especially in the tourist areas, has been beefed up, but that still doesn’t 100% guarantee anyone’s safety. My advice is to be vigilant (wherever you go) and try to avoid crowds if you can. Simple common sense is very effective in keeping us safe.

Best regards,

15. linny c 11/12/2009 9:08 pm

Hi Keith,

A mutual friend of ours gave me the link to your blog. I love your story!! Lots in common… I was in the investment industry for 20 years and in 1982 my fiance and i went on a 4.5 month trip around the world.

I am told you would be a good person to speak to about indoensia. My 22 year old daughter wants to go to a surf camp in Seminayak, Kuta. I am beside myself with worry. While she is level headed and well-travelled, I worry about terrorist attacks,the credibility of the surf camp, the crime, the natural disasters, the remoteness of this camp,ETC. The fact that she is traveling with another young, pretty blond doesn’t help my level of anxieity either. Canada and Australia have both issued travel warnings for this country. I wish they would go to Hawaii or Australia.

Any advice/info you can share would be most appreciated. Thank you so much! LC

16. velvet 10/12/2009 12:24 pm

Thanks so much four your comment Antoine. I’m very happy to have had the opportunity to help out. :-)
    Thank you also for sending the ebook around. Really appreciate it.

Best regards,

17. velvet 05/12/2009 5:37 pm

Thank you so much Natalie for your comments. Really cool that you like the word “Travelations”. Thought it would be only fitting to name the book that way: revelations from my travels. :-)
    Change is indeed good!

ps/good luck with your endeavours in 2010. Will be keeping an eye out for you. :-)

18. Natalie 05/12/2009 5:32 pm

PS – LOVE the term “travelation” – so fitting, and so common. I’m convinced that there’s a “travelation” from every journey we take, whether we recognize it or not…something new is always learned.

19. Natalie 05/12/2009 5:28 pm

Thanks Keith for the inspirational read – great story! Many of us are in the same boat and know it’s so hard to decide to make a change and get out of a familiar routine. But with stories like your’s we can see what is possible when a giant leap IS made. Change is good, go for it! Keep up the inspirational posts!

20. velvet 05/12/2009 4:20 pm

Haha, thanks Rob for your lovely comment. Really appreciate it.

21. Rob 05/12/2009 2:31 pm

Keith, how very beautifull these lines of Faith, Beauty, Fear and above all -maybe,- Courage! Very Inspiring. Open. Makes me hungry for more,’like ; ‘what did this interesting lady tell you that inspired you so much? Tel us more, make the book bigger, I’d say, with stories that people told you on your yourneys…
    I was just working my keyboard and singing ‘there as a boy and as he wandered very far, this he said to me … (Nature boy, Eden Abhez) and then remembered to leave a respons..
    Keep on travelling!
    Rob

22. velvet 01/12/2009 1:18 am

Thanks Jen. Anytime you need some encouragement, tips or advice… you know where to find me! :-)

Hugs back,

23. jen Laceda 01/12/2009 1:12 am

I want my copy!! Bravo for taking that huge leap of faith!! I’m still mustering up my courage. I may need tips and advice from you!

hugs,
    Jen

24. velvet 28/11/2009 10:56 pm

Thank you Simon. Hope you like the ‘novel’. :-) Really appreciate your hospitality. I’ll certainly be in touch when I visit Milan.

Best regards,

25. waitinginthedark 28/11/2009 6:43 pm

Hi Keith,

I just downloaded your novel and will read it very soon. When you mentioned to me about your past experience in investment banking I was almost sure of where you had been working and what might have happen… Now I have the confirmation.
    Definitely, we have lots in common, although I made a different choice. Would be really great to meet you some day.
    Milan is not among the most beautiful cities of the world but… if you plan some time a w-e of good food, nice exhibitions and good design, my home is open.
    Ciao,
    Simon

26. Camilo Olea 27/11/2009 9:56 pm

I personally know Keith and can honestly say he is a GREAT guy. He has been helping me with my own project, http://www.cancunissafe.com His insights and assitance have been invaluable.

I am so glad you decided to take this road, Keith. And I’m even more happy that we met. I’m still working for “The Man”, being “an employee of someone” like Gaby (Hi to Bali!) says. Luckily, I’m steadily working towards changing this. Along the road, I’ve made so many amazing & invaluable friends that I wouldn’t have met otherwise. I am really grateful for all the blessings and I’m sure there are tons more to come.

I’ve traveled myself… Europe, Turkey, Mexico… Still have so many amazing places to know, though! Good thing I’m young and enthusiastic :)

Cheers to Keith! Kudos!

Warm regards from Cancun!

27. velvet 26/11/2009 5:49 pm

Thank you Gaby. I’m absolutely convinced that if we stay on this path that’s close to our hearts, eventually we will be rewarded. U pun…sukses selalu ya! Terima kasih!

Bug hugs,

28. gabybali 26/11/2009 5:45 pm

Keith, you’re always inspiring. I did exactly the same thing as you : I was bored to be an employee of someone and didn’t plan to be for the rest of my life,then left the boring office jobs.
    But two big different things from you :
    - I did not jump from the plane with a parachute
    - Thus I could not travel the world like you did
    Only a crazy brave girl like me ever dare to do this, Dec’08, just right in the middle of world economic crisis!
    Here I am, a very struggling travel & culinary blogger, but when I read amazing travel stories such as yours, it encourages me, and gives me more spirit to keep writing and writing, and who knows where this new journey will end up, for all of us.
    Sukses selalu, ya Keith! You’re a great person!

Love from Bali,
    BEE

1. A Week in Amsterdam – #TravelTuesday: Velvet Escape - 02/07/2014

[…] Reading: URL: http://velvetescape.com/ RSS Feed: http://velvetescape.com/?feed=rss2 Email Updates: Sign up via website Ebook: Travelations, the trip that opened my eyes […]

2. Review of The Traveler's Handbooks | Velvet Escape - 13/04/2013

[...] myself a Business Class round-the-world ticket and off I went! I wrote about my experiences (see my Travelations essay), and late last year spoke about my trip during my TEDxTalk. Upon my return in late-2008, I [...]

3. Wie man die Krise als Chance nutzt: Vom Investment-Banker zum Travel-Blogger | Digitaler Wandel, Bildung, Arbeit - 29/07/2012

[...] hat er seine Erfahrungen und Beweggründe dazu ziemlich ehrlich in dem neunseitigen E-Book Travelations: the trip that opened my eyes veröffentlicht, das man kostenlos im Internet nachlesen kann (und es ist wirklich [...]

4. Wie man die Krise als Chance nutzt: Vom Investment-Banker zum Travel-Blogger | Berufebilder by Simone Janson - 15/06/2012

5. Overcoming fears to pursue your passion and live your dream | Family on Bikes - 25/01/2012

[...] Funny how fear has us in its grip in so many ways but when we let it go for just a bit and explore that unknown, we then realize how silly we were to harbor that particular fear in the first place. Amazingly, by pushing ahead in those shark-infested waters instead of turning back, the fear ebbed as quickly as it struck.  – Keith Jenkins [...]

6. Looking back, moving forward | Velvet Escape - 31/12/2011

[...] am writing this email, to say i am a big fan of your travel blog. When i read your “Travelations” story i was so fascinated by your big leap of changing career and following your dreams. [...]

7. Featured Traveler | Keith Jenkins : Velvet Escape « gtrot | blog - 16/08/2011

[...] I’ve been very fortunate to have had the opportunity to be on many amazing trips. One trip that I’ll never forget though is my five-month round-the-world trip in 2008. Countries I covered included Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, Australia, French Polynesia, Chile and Argentina. Not only did I get to experience some of the most stunning places on this planet, it was in many ways a life-changing trip. I published an e-book about this trip and its repercussions called Travelations. [...]

8. The moment: The start of a life-changing journey | velvet escape's blog - 04/05/2011

[...] coast of Estonia. I’ve called this photo “The Moment” because it symbolises the start of a life-changing journey that began in 2008 and which has led me onto a new and exciting path as a travel [...]

9. How I Use Apture On My Blog | velvet connect - 12/05/2010

[...] documents (such as pdf’s) that can be viewed by my readers without having to leave the [...]

10. 5 photos that have inspired me the most, and why. | CUMI & CIKI: Monkey Adventures, Travel and Food! - 04/04/2010

[...] -         excerpt from Travelations – the trip that opened my eyes [...]