Queenstown from above

Queenstown is a true gem in New Zealand’s crown of scenic destinations. The town is a favourite among nature-lovers, skiers and snowboarders, as well as those seeking more adventurous sports such as bungy-jumping (it was practically invented here), mountain biking and jet-boating. Queenstown‘s spectacular location, up in the Southern Alps amidst imposing snow-capped mountains, gushing rivers and a seemingly endless string of lakes, makes it a spot that can be enjoyed by everyone – from the casual visitor to the extreme sports fanatic.

The Skyline Gondola

The town is situated in a corner of Lake Wakatipu and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains – the Remarkables, in particular, provide a magnificent backdrop. A great way to enjoy the scenic beauty of Queenstown, the lake and the mountains is to ride the Skyline Gondola, a cableway, to the top of the mountain overlooking Queenstown. Once at the top, there’s a viewing terrace and a café. Sit back, relax and take in the awe-inspiring scenery.

Other more thrilling options

The thrill-seekers among us will also appreciate The Ledge – Sky Swing, which is located adjacent to the Skyline Gondola. Designed and created by the legendary AJ Hackett (the founder of bungy jumping madness), you’ll be harnessed in and lowered out over the ledge before being swung out and dropped 400 meters above Queenstown! Not for the faint-hearted or those scared of heights! Would you try it?

For those seeking a slightly less adrenaline-infused experience, I can recommend an exhilarating paragliding flight from the top of the Skyline Gondola. The initial adrenaline rush I experienced during the take-off quickly evaporated as we glided silently in the air and the spectacular scenery unfolded below me. The flight is a ten minute experience you’ll never forget.

Search for hotels in Queenstown.

p5rn7vb

8 Responses to “Queenstown from above”

1. David @ Malaysia Asia 15/07/2010 6:29 pm

Sounds like a great place for thrill seekers. The JetBoat is one of the things I would love to try as well.

David

2. Brendan van Son 15/07/2010 3:10 pm

As an adventure dude, I can not wait to get to queenstown!

3. Aurora 14/07/2010 4:31 pm

I don’t think I would do it… It sounds scary! ;P But I would love to go to Queenstown. When I was in New Zealand with my family a few years ago it was our plan to go there, however we ended up having far to short a time in the country to have time for half the things we had planned! Ah well, we’ll just have to go back again I suppose… ;)

4. velvet 13/07/2010 11:08 pm

Excellent tip! Thanks Matt. :-)

5. Matt 13/07/2010 11:07 pm

Great views from up there! If you’re on a budget, I’d recommend simply hiking to the top of gondola and saving yourself the absurd $23 they charge for a return ticket!

6. velvet 13/07/2010 5:59 pm

Thanks Isabelle! Yes, the jetboat is an awesome experience too. Absolutely loved the 360degree spins. Woohoo! :-)

7. IsabellesTravel 13/07/2010 5:37 pm

I loved Queenstown. There is so much you can do. I tried the JetBoating. It was such an exhilarating experience! Wrote a guest post about it: http://bit.ly/8Mw5m1 Really was amazing!

1. Things to do and see in New Zealand | velvet escape's blog - 01/04/2011

[...] 6. Get an adrenaline shot in Queenstown – Queenstown is my favourite town in New Zealand. A breathtaking location certainly helps! On the shores of Lake Waikatipu, Queenstown is surrounded on three sides by majestic mountains, the most spectacular being the Remarkables and the Eyres mountains. The town is also the adventure tourism capital of New Zealand. If you’re looking for an adrenaline boost, Queenstown is the perfect place to be. Bungy-jumping was invented not too far from here. I enjoyed paragliding (something I highly recommend for the unforgettable experience of silently gliding high up in the air and taking in the spectacular scenery) and the jet-boat ride down Shotover River. You can also opt to take the scenic Skyline cable-car to enjoy the views over Queenstown. [...]