Enchanting spots: Milford Sound

Milford Sound, located on the west coast of New Zealand’s South Island, is one of the most spectacular fjords I’ve ever seen. Justifiably used as the decor for one of the scenes in the ‘Lord of the Rings’ trilogy, Milford Sound‘s calm, dark blue waters contrast sharply with the towering snow-capped mountains that hug its shores. In its middle, the 1,623 meter Mitre Peak rises dramatically while stunning waterfalls tumble down from the sheer rock cliffs, which reach a height of 1,200 meters in some places, and add to the breathtaking beauty of the fjord.

Take a cruise

The majesty of this place can best be appreciated by taking a cruise – there are various options including an overnight cruise. This is one of the top visitor attractions on the West Coast of New Zealand’s South Island so if you’re visiting Milford Sound on your own, go in the mornings or later in the afternoon to avoid the hordes of tourist buses. The boats take visitors across the fjord, alongside the awe-inspiring rock face of Mitre Peak and past several waterfalls. If you’re lucky, you might spot dolphins, seals and penguins along the way. If you’re standing outside on the deck – something I recommend you do – make sure you have a raincoat on when the boat passes some of the waterfalls – feeling the cold droplets on your face is a glorious experience. As the boat gets closer, the fine mist turns into a blistering cold shower! :-)

“The Finest Walk in the World”

An alternative method, if you have more time, is to hike along one of the many trails around the fjord. The most famous trail is the ‘Milford Track‘, often called the “finest walk in the world”. The trail winds its way through stunning mountain scenery and the gorgeous temperate rainforests of the Fiordland National Park. Various tour companies in Queenstown offer guided hikes along the Milford Track as a 5-day/4-night package. If you have the time and are physically fit, I seriously recommend this hike. The sight of the imposing snow-capped mountains, massive granite canyons, dark blue lakes and eerie mossy forests is simply enchanting!

See other Velvet Escape Enchanting Spots:

11 Responses to “Enchanting spots: Milford Sound”

1. Milford Track Tours 16/11/2010 6:56 am

Milford Sound is a fjord in the south west of Southern New Zealand, with the Fiordland National Park and Te Wahipounamu Heritage. It is one of the most visited and the tourist attractions, in the New Zealand. The Milford Track show the beauty of the New Zealand. And it is described as the finest walk in the world.

2. Simon 04/08/2010 11:02 pm

Gosh! How come I missed this amazing post before? New Zealand is rapidly raising in my bucket list. Thanks for sharing such wonderful insights!

3. velvet 17/06/2010 12:23 pm

Thanks Ant! Glad you loved the post! :-) The Milford Track was definitely one of the highlights of my time in NZ.

4. Ant 17/06/2010 12:21 pm

Incredible photos, Velvet. Loved the post, I’m looking forward to walking the Milford Track once the weather warms up again!

5. Angela Pearse 16/06/2010 10:30 pm

I know, shocking! I have been to Queenstown & Christchurch, but I need to do a proper Sth Island trip :-)

6. velvet 16/06/2010 9:43 am

Hi Angela,
    I’m shocked! ;-) You should head down to South Island. The area around Queenstown and Te Anau is my absolute fave!

7. Angela Pearse 16/06/2010 5:50 am

Very inspiring! I haven’t been that far south and I live in NZ! Definitely on the list…

8. velvet 15/06/2010 6:10 pm

Thanks for your comment Isabelle. It’s such an awe-inspiring place.

Hugs,
    Keith :-)

9. IsabellesTravel 15/06/2010 5:47 pm

Awesome pictures! Mine didn`t came out that good ;-) I remember the fine mist of the waterfalls. It is a nice experience. Takes for bringing back memories with your post!

1. Things to do and see in New Zealand | velvet escape's blog - 23/05/2011

[…] Go on a cruise around Milford Sound – Technically not a sound but rather a fjord, Milford Sound is one of New Zealand’s biggest attractions. Rightfully so, the sound is simply […]

2. Queenstown from above | velvet escape's blog - 13/07/2010