The beauty of a sunrise

• SumoMe

I’m not a morning person – it takes quite an effort to haul myself out of bed on most mornings. Everything changes though when I travel. Getting up early to catch a flight or to go on a tour, or simply to see the sunrise suddenly becomes effortless. I guess it’s the excitement that travel invokes; the chance to experience something new or to witness a unique moment of beauty. I didn’t have any problems waking up after a few hours’ sleep just to see the sunrise in Alaska on the longest day of the year, or getting up at 5am for a river safari in the jungles of Borneo, or scrambling out of my tent to go hot-air ballooning over the Wadi Rum desert at dawn. It’s amazing what travel can do to a person; it certainly motivates me to get out of bed and appreciate the beauty of a sunrise.

I’ve taken more pictures of sunsets but my collection of sunrise pictures is surprisingly varied, well, considering I’m not a morning person. Without further ado, here’s my modest pictorial tribute to the sunrise. Enjoy!

Sunrise over Wadi Rum, Jordan

The peaks of the Austrian Alps bathed in pink at sunrise

Sunrise seen from the Zugspitze, Germany’s highest mountain

Sunrise at the Kinabatangan River, Sabah, Malaysia

Sunrise in southeast Alaska on the longest day of the year

Overwater bungalows in Bora Bora at dawn

The El Tatio geysers in northern Chile (at an altitude of 5,000m) at sunrise

The San Francisco church in Salta, Argentina at dawn

Sunrise and morning mist in the Ulu Temburong jungles of Brunei on the island of Borneo.

11 Responses to “The beauty of a sunrise”

1. Abi 07/02/2012 5:08 pm

I really should make the effort to get up earlier…Gorgeous shots.

2. Monica 26/11/2011 6:33 pm

These pictures are so beautiful. I’m the same, I have a huge collection of sunset photos but I can rarely drag myself out of best for sunrise. These pics prove that it is definitely worth the effort!

3. velvet 25/11/2011 7:14 pm

Thanks Kirsten! :-) I’m VERY proud of that one. I even sell it via my store as an iPhone case. :-)

4. Kirsten 25/11/2011 7:12 pm

My favorite is the image from Zugspitze. Just love that one Keith! Well done. Beautiful set of images that make me restless to get out there and travel again.

5. velvet 25/11/2011 3:11 pm

Haha! Thanks for your lovely comment MJ! :)

6. Marie-Julie 25/11/2011 2:57 pm

Oup! «THE» same… (Sorry, French…)

7. Marie-Julie 25/11/2011 2:57 pm

I’m exactly de same. I stay as long as I can in bed at home (I sometimes even work from my bed because I’m too lazy – especially during the winter!) but when I travel, I love to get up early! Thanks for the amazing pics!

8. velvet 25/11/2011 1:42 am

Hahaha! Great to hear from you Vera Marie. :-) I bet you have spectacular sunrises & sunsets in Tucson – somehow, they’re always spectacular in desert regions.

9. Vera Marie Badertscher 25/11/2011 1:36 am

Yawn! That’s not boredom because you’re photos are an eye-opener. That’s just me trying to get up. In Tucson we have spectacular sunrises nearly every morning (I hear.)

10. Gorgeous pictures Keith!

Refreshing start to our day.

Nancy & Shawn

1. A jungle adventure in Brunei | Velvet Escape - 19/12/2013

[…] next morning for a jungle hike (in the dark) and a canopy walk to see the sunrise – you see, I’m not a morning person. As we boarded the speedboat (in Bandar Seri Begawan) that would take us to Temburong, I noticed […]