Ten city peaks for the most breathtaking views

There’s nothing more spectacular than a city with an imposing skyline and a nearby mountain-top from which to enjoy the view. There’s just something magical about it. I guess it’s the adventure of getting to the top of the mountain and the first moment you feast your eyes on the incredible view. It’s always an enchanting, often surreal experience that makes the effort so worthwhile.

I’ve listed below ten mountains which I’ve visited for truly breathtaking views. If you’re in any of these cities, I highly recommend making it to the top of these mountains for an unforgettable visual experience.

Victoria Peak – Hong Kong

It’s a fun ride to the top with the funicular. Once at the top, you’ll be rewarded with a magnificent view of one of the most spectacular skylines in the world. Love Hong Kong!

Grouse Mountain – Vancouver

Just a short hop away from downtown Vancouver, Grouse Mountain is a ski-resort as well as a much-loved hiking area. The views of Vancouver and the snowy peaks of Vancouver Island in the distance on a clear day are stupendous. This amazing picture was taken on a foggy night.

Corcovado – Rio de Janeiro

The ‘hunchback’ mountain of Rio de Janeiro is the home of the Christ Statue (one of the new ‘Wonders of the World’) and the perfect place to enjoy an unforgettable panorama of Rio de Janeiro.

rio-de-janeiro-panorama-photo

The panoramic view of Rio de Janeiro from Corcovado.

Table Mountain – Cape Town

Table Mountain overlooks Cape Town and Table Bay. The cable-car that brings visitors to the top is the start of a spectacular visual experience. The views from the top of Cape Town, Devil’s Peak, Lion’s Head, Table Bay and Robben Island are amazing. Save some time for a lovely stroll around the fijnbos shrubs on the mountain-top.

Twin Peaks – San Francisco

Twin Peaks is the place to be for the most mind-blowing views of San Francisco. The view of the city-lights at night is absolutely awe-inspiring.

Mt. Victoria – Wellington

Mount Victoria lies at the edge of downtown Wellington and is a great place to enjoy Wellington’s beautiful location, wedged in between Wellington Harbour and the surrounding mountains of the Rimutaka Range. Various scenes from the ‘Lord of the Rings’ trilogy were shot on Mount Victoria.

Tibidabo – Barcelona

Tibidabo is the highest peak in Barcelona and the views of the city and the coastline from up here are truly spectacular. There’s more up here to keep visitors occupied other than the views, such as the beautiful Sagrat Cor Church and Barcelona’s oldest amusement park.

Cerro de la Cruz – Antigua

Cerro de la Cruz is not the highest peak overlooking the stunning UNESCO Heritage town of Antigua in Guatemala but it offers some of the most stunning views. It’s a relatively easy hike to get to the top and the classic view of Antigua below with the imposing Volcan Agua as a backdrop will leave you speechless.

Cerro San Cristobal – Santiago

Located to the north of Santiago, Cerro San Cristobal is a superb spot to view the Santiago sprawl as well as the mighty Andes mountains that overlook the city. A huge statue of the Virgin Mary stands proudly atop the mountain.

Elephant Mountain – Taipei

Elephant Mountain lies smack in the middle of Taipei and offers arguably the best vantage point over the city and its famous Taipei 101 Tower, until recently, the world’s tallest building. A pleasant 20-minute stroll leads to the top. The trail is lit so you can walk up in the early evenings to take in the sunset and the city lights.

Do you know of other city peaks that are worth the climb? Please leave your suggestions in the comments section below. Thanks!

Read other articles in the Velvet Escape “Ten” series:

p5rn7vb

39 Responses to “Ten city peaks for the most breathtaking views”

1. Keith Jenkins 23/11/2012 1:16 am

Hi Hannah,
    Nope, I haven’t been to Peru but it sure is high on my list. When I make it to Cusco, I’ll definitely check out the view from the statue. Thanks for the tip! :-)

2. hannah 23/11/2012 12:16 am

Loved this post! Have you been to Peru there is a spectacular view of Cuso from the White Christ statue. I love looking at peaks at the end of your trip its kind of cheesy but it gives you time to reflect on the time you spent there.

3. Mike V 24/03/2012 5:21 pm

I used to work at Grouse Mountain in Vancouver, amazing views during the day you can see the ocean, islands and other mountains. I have to throw in Quito, Ecuador… from the top of the giant Pichincha Volcano

4. John Tonkes 29/03/2011 11:41 am

Mount Wellington in Hobart has to be up there with the best.

5. Leslie (Downtown Traveler) 21/02/2011 9:54 pm

Great photos of city skylines! Who knew Vancouver was so majestic? ;)

6. Tonya Wariner 17/02/2011 7:24 pm

Salt Lake City, Utah and the surrounding valley and mountains from Ensign Peak. There are other neat viewpoints around the valley, too.

7. Dave 17/02/2011 1:33 am

Another vote for Arthur’s Seat and Grouse Mountain from me! Others…Wat Saket, Bangkok (though a bit man-made!) Bob’s Peak, Queenstown (NZ) and Mt Coot-Tha, Brisbane, especially at night.

8. Walker 25/12/2010 4:39 pm

incredible would love to visit Taipei to see the tower and possibly claim the peak lol

9. Shannon O'Donnell 10/12/2010 1:53 am

I wish I had known about the Taipei peak! But I am heading to Hong Kong soon and the city looks amazing from that vantage and I look forward to hitting some of these as I pass through the cities :)

10. Cam 15/10/2010 5:27 pm

All excellent choices! Especially Vancvouer ;-)
    I’ll throw one more in the mix – Cusco, Peru

11. Ray 28/09/2010 7:33 pm

You should include Pittsburgh, PA, which was rated by USA Today as #1 view (yes, ahead of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco). Check out pittsburghskyline.com (skyline, no “s” at the end).

12. velvet 07/09/2010 3:31 pm

Thanks for your comment Christine. I was thinking of Seoul Tower but it had to be a “10…” post! :-) Would love to visit Hawaii one day!

13. GRRRL TRAVELER 07/09/2010 3:25 pm

Barcelona? .. wish I knew when I visited. Antigua is gorgeous. I’d also have to agree w/ @Gregg on Diamond Head (I’m biased but it is gorgeous & it’s not a very high peak to climb). @Dave W’s Seoul Tower is another impressive view but the air pollution can be bad on some days, though even thru the haze its a bit nice & the Locks of Love are my favorite reason for going.

14. Greengeenie 07/08/2010 12:11 pm

Great pics. My omission nomination – Edinburgh from Arthur’s Seat

15. velvet 03/08/2010 1:27 pm

Hi Gray,
    Thanks for the Montreal tip!

16. Gray 03/08/2010 1:02 pm

Wow! Stunning photos. Mont Royal in Montreal is not a huge peak, but it does offer gorgeous views of Montreal.

17. Wildlife Tours 03/08/2010 9:21 am

Great pictures and i agree, I cannot think of a skyline which deserves to go along side the ten listed

18. maria 30/07/2010 9:43 am

Great post! Great peaks! :)

19. Bronson 29/07/2010 4:43 pm

Wow, some really breathtaking cityscapes in this collection.

I am glad to see my Hometown (Cape Town) in there, but that Vancouver shot is eerie looking.

20. Dorothee 29/07/2010 4:32 pm

Wow, great photos Keith!
    My favourites are Vancouver, Cape Town and Antigua!

Dorothee :)

21. Ant Stone 29/07/2010 2:39 am

Great series, stunning imagery too. It’s funny how we long to visit a place, but never fully appreciate it until we take a step back for a broader view.

There’s some wonderful vantage points in Lhasa too, especially from the monasteries which sprawl across hilltops.

22. AirTreks Nico 28/07/2010 8:14 pm

Breathtaking. I know that SF view well. Ride my bike up there all the time.

Got a couple to add: The view from Queen Anne Hill in Seattle (think Frasier!) and Cerro San Cristobal in Lima. Two stunning views each with their own flavor.

23. Michael Schuermann 28/07/2010 7:27 pm

Amazing views, amazing shots. A delight to read and enjoy the photos. Hats off!

24. velvet 28/07/2010 7:26 pm

Thanks Isa & Melvin for your comments! Yup, you better get started… lots of climbing to be done! :-)

Hugs,

25. IsabellesTravel 28/07/2010 7:20 pm

Awesome pictures Keith! I`d better get started on this list ;)

26. Melvin 28/07/2010 6:41 pm

Very nice photos! My favourite is definitely Vancouver! What a photo! Wow!

27. Andrea 28/07/2010 2:20 pm

Another vote for Seoul Tower here!

28. ExplorerDad 28/07/2010 2:54 am

Great pics – I also love seeing Paris from Montmartre (even if its only a hill).

29. Matt 28/07/2010 2:38 am

Love this series – and especially this post. Can only say I’ve conquered one (by car!) – Mt Victoria in Wellington. Beautiful place to take in the views … just watch out for Windy Welly’s infamous winds!

30. cumidanciki 28/07/2010 2:14 am

Grouse Mountain wow! one day i will live there! LOL (not on the mountain, in Vancouver la)

31. Dave W 28/07/2010 2:03 am

Seoul Tower in Seoul South Korea.

32. Greg Knudsen 27/07/2010 11:46 pm

The view of Waikiki and the ocean is great from the peak of Honolulu’s Diamond Head. And at only 761 feet, it’s an easy climb. — http://tweetphoto.com/35273834

33. Scene by Laurie 27/07/2010 11:20 pm

Great idea for a post and amazing photos! I’m with Shannon and have many peaks to add to my bucket list, thanks for the inspiration!

34. velvet 27/07/2010 8:57 pm

Thank you Shannon. Better get climbing! ;-)

35. Shannon OD 27/07/2010 7:36 pm

Love this post Keith…I haven’t done a single peak yet so I had better get working! :-)

36. velvet 27/07/2010 6:14 pm

Thanks! You’ve got a great point there – didn’t think of that but yes, volcanic & seismic activity indeed! I was going to add Mexico City to the list as well… it would’ve been no. 11! :-)

37. Sanctuare 27/07/2010 6:08 pm

Gorgeous…great picks. Not surprisingly…a strong correlation, in many cases, with areas of potential volcanic activity.

1. 10 things to do in Penang, Malaysia | velvet escape's blog - 23/05/2011

[...] Ten city peaks for the most breathtaking views [...]

2. Top 150 travel blogs for students ~ Blog ~ CollegeScholarships.org - 06/10/2010

[...] as well as scenic photography and popular tourist destinations. Recommended posts: “Ten city peaks for the most breathtaking views” and “Bayan Indah – a Malaysian culinary [...]