I love travelling. Period. However, I’ve always been rather hesitant about travelling alone. It’s probably got to do with the fact that I’ve never liked eating alone. So, when I embarked on a solo five-month round-the-world trip in 2008, I was terribly excited but I was also a bit doubtful if I would enjoy it. I’ve travelled alone before but never for such a lengthy amount of time.
I can tell you this now: within the first week, those doubts had evaporated into thin air! I had the best time of my life: I learned a slew of new things about myself, about our world and its people and about being a more open-minded, balanced and positive individual. Since that trip, I’ve become a solo traveller ‘convert’. Based on my own experiences, I can highly recommend travelling alone. To help convince the ‘doubtful’, I’ve compiled a short list below of reasons why one should travel alone.
- You get to do your own thing at your own leisure
- You’ll have more time (and less distractions) to reflect on your life (past, present and future)
- It’s a great confidence builder
- You’ll meet a lot more people
- You’ll learn to depend more on yourself
- It teaches you to become a better planner/organiser (if you weren’t one already)
- You’ll be more susceptible to new ideas and/or perspectives
- You’ll learn to better appreciate your own talents and skills
- You’ll learn to become a better decision-maker
- You might learn something new about yourself or discover a talent you never thought you had!
The list above is by no means exhaustive. If you would like to read more about travelling alone, please check out ‘Ten things to do when you travel alone’ on this blog or ‘Fear of Going Solo’ on the Kaleidoscopic Wandering blog. If you’ve travelled alone or if you’re thinking about it, I would be very interested to know your thoughts on this subject. Please share them by leaving a comment.
If you do decide to travel solo, please travel safe. One way to have peace of mind is to ensure you have sufficient travel insurance, one that also covers any adventurous activities.